Recreation therapists at Niagara Children’s Centre work with children, youth and families to:
- Assess the child’s current participation in recreation as well as the child’s and family’s leisure preferences
- Develop a plan that includes recommendations for increasing participation
- Refer and connect families with appropriate Niagara Children's Centre skill development programs and community recreational opportunities
- Recommend and provide trials for adapted recreation equipment and provide information on accessing funding support for recreation programs and equipment
- Provide group-based programming at the Centre or satellite site for children/youth and their families to engage in meaningful recreation activities, develop recreation skills, and build a community of friendships
In addition, the recreation therapist works with community providers to increase their ability to include Centre clients into community recreation programs.